Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Simeon Mitev
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:30:01 +0200

Good point David,

Actually, the server application will mainly deal with networking, in memory data structures manipulations, threads and database interactions. If I use GNUStep to develop it, I will be later on able to reuse all data models and networking modules directly for the iPhone client application and will avoid doubled work, data mappings and so on.

What about database connectivity of GNUStep? Is it "mature" enough?

I do not plan to use MySQL. Good target is Firebird. Unfortunately, there is no port of BerkeleyDB for Objective C :|

// Simeon

I'm not sure why this follows. Just because you can't use DO doesn't mean you can't use GNUstep on the server.

By the way, in theory it ought to be possible to port GNUstep's NSPortCoder to Cocoa and use this for serialising messages to be sent across sockets. This would let Cocoa apps talk to GNUstep ones via DO.

David