Re: Window manager interaction

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:29:59 +0100

On 15 Oct 2009, at 21:34, Philippe Roussel wrote:

Hi all,

When using GNUstep applications under a Gnome desktop and it's
Metacity window manager, I often 'lose' those applications : if I
minimize a windows, it appears in the task bar as expected but if I
hide the application there's nothing left in the task bar. The only
solution seems to launch the application again to get it back.

I'm running with GSAppOwnsMiniwindow set to NO and GSSuppressAppIcon
set to YES as I don't want AppIcons to appear on the desktop.

Is it the intended behavior ? Did I miss something ?

The documentation says:

GSSuppressAppIcon
A boolean value, NO by default. Specifies wether the application icon window should not be displayed. Set to YES for background server applications.

I think the expectation is that, if you have set GSSuppressAppIcon to YES, it's because your app is not intended to appear on-screen (I think that's what 'background server' means), or that your window manager will be handling activation of the app some other way.

The other default (GSAppOwnsMiniwindow) is the one which is supposed to control whether miniwindows are controlled by the application or by the window manager, and if that's set to 'NO' then (as I understand it) the miniwindows should not appear on the desktop. I'm not sure how well this works though.