Re: Setting up Clang compiler

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Setting up Clang compiler
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:40:23 -0600

Hey Omar and David,

On 2011-09-01, at 7:01 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

> I wrote a tutorial for installing GNUstep on FreeBSD a week or so ago:
>
> http://etoileos.com/news/archive/2011/08/14/1206/
>
> For Windows, you'll need to change a few things.  For a start, all of this
> stuff will need to run inside a MinGW install.

Just as a warning, I don't think anyone has gotten the
mingw/clang/libobjc2/gnustep combo to work before, so it'll likely involve a
bit of work. The other option is gcc 4.6, which supports @property and most
ObjC 2 features, excluding blocks. I'm not sure if anyone has successfully used
this with gnustep on windows either.

When mingw does a release with gcc4.6 or clang, it should be easy for us to
make an installer where ObjC2 works out of the box.

>  You may want to use a different filesystem layout (do we have a standard
> Windows layout?  With everything inside an application's install directory?)

I don't think so, but we should have that :-)

> You may also need to disable native exceptions - I've no idea if they work on
> Windows.

On windows, if you use gcc or clang you are stuck with SJLJ exceptions
(setjmp/longjmp). I think implementing support for Window's native SEH is on
both gcc's and clang/llvm's wish list.

-Eric