Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:31:11 +0200

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 19:21, Thom Cherryhomes <thom.cherryhomes@gmail.com> wrote:

What RMS was referring to, was his contribution of the "App Store" ..honestly, this is one of the things that seriously scares me, for all the obvious reasons. However, this one bit of precedent is now infecting everything, and creating a trusted computing world where only approved applications can run...

I'm saddened that Steve Jobs contributed to lockdowns. Indeed, I am.

I do, however, feel that there is a right way to state your opinion, and a wrong one.

Microsoft pushing for BIOS that requires a signed bootloader is more dangerous than the closed ecosystem found in handhelds.

I had the privilege of installing Ubuntu to a couple of relatives the other day, despite them insisting on Windows. They are happy. That makes me happy, too. Windows didn't even want to boot on their laptop. What would be their option with such a BIOS?

Closed App Stores are perhaps a threat. Closed BIOS is more so. Thoughts should be focused on that.

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net