Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 14:21:11 +0100

On 9 Aug 2013, at 14:06, "Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) MMath (Cantab) PhD
(Cantab) FTICA" <slivnik@tomaz.name> wrote:

>> Active marketing would be pushing news like "Our AppKit is now compatible
>> with OS X 10.x" to sites like Phoronix.
>
> True, but unless you can say x=8 (or indeed, when available (now?), 9
> Developer Preview) I don't think many will care.

I don't think 100% compatibility with OS X 10.8 is nearly as relevant as 'look,
runs this application on *NIX which only runs on OS X >=10.7'.  No one cares if
we've implemented 100% of all of the 10.8 Cocoa APIs, they care about the
particular subset that their application uses.  We may not implement that
either, but a few case studies are great.

A few years ago, Bean was good because it required 10.4 and worked on GNUstep
and looked reasonable with the GNOME and Windows themes.  Now we need something
new.

David