Re: Retreive installed gnustep version

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Retreive installed gnustep version
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:47:35 +0000

On 7. studenoga 2013. at 15:43:38, Michele Bert (micbert75@gmail.com) wrote:

2013/11/7 Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com>
As a „purist”, I tried working with Debian packages when I first started playing with GNUstep. But today, to anyone who plans on using GNUstep more seriously, I recommend installing from source in whatever environment you have.
I do it on my personal PC. All gnustep related software is compiled from source, but installed in its own location (I always add the option --prefix=/opt to the 'configure' script)
But I use that pc very rarely.

That’s what the GNUstep developers are working with, and they can only fix issues you run into if you’re running the latest code. (Not to mention you can contribute more easily, too.)

And this is basically the reason why I do not participate a lot to this list. At work I develop in C++, using almost 2 tools: gnustep Terminal.app, and emacs. A little bit GWorkspace, but it is the official ubuntu 12.04 version, thus really too old to base any kind of contribution I could give. All the rest are unusable, in the version I have...

I would highly recommend you try the latest code and write a blogpost somewhere on specific issues you’re having. That way, an interested individual might go and look at your issues at their own leisure. And if a lot of people have specific issues, the only way interested individuals can know is to see them documented somewhere (and sufficiently specifically and sufficiently well described), pick the ones they’re interested in fixing, and look into them.

So, really, uninstall the packages and install either Philipe’s packages (they’re reasonably up to date) or compile from source code.

Thanks for chiming in ;-)