Re: this is a modern way to present a project

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: this is a modern way to present a project
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 09:26:09 +0100

Hi,

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
I see this as an inspirational source for those who aim to redesign the web
pages of GNUstep:

http://elementaryos.org/
well, the site looks like an iOS-rip-off.. and the OS itself like a Mac ghost :) And how buch bluff and hot air! Aww, my eyes are hurting!!!

While I don't like the overall impression it is quite coherent with the product itself. Thus for sure it is a better presentation than ours (or wait, we are coherent with the way we are, that's the problem!). What strikes is the coherency in all parts, they have a small team it probably comes from that too

It reassures me however that many concepts I am trying to implement in the design are on that site! That means I'm on the right track.

They have one big advantage: they have "much less stuff". At least, at a first glance, then it is half true. Full of features? after 10 minutes of browsing, I was only able to know about 5 apps! Wow!

A quite strong critique: the site hides a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff is behind several clicks. That way it "looks" simple. At GNUstep, everybody would complain that "his" part would be hidden deep., be his part a compiler comparison or mac porting tutorial.

The site for me has a big no: it looks simple, but it isn't. What, you put just three items in the navbar? and the... stuff all the rest at the bottom. This is terrible! it is false-simplifcation! The gnome webiste has the same trouble. It took me some time in a discussion with Gregory to convince him that it is bad. The other big no? It is not responding, it looks bad on your phone. Obvioulsy: the fact above denies that.

for those interested: this is GTK based (sadly not GNUstep)
http://elementaryos.org/docs/code/hello-world
:)

It was nice to see some concepts, criticized here, that work there (e.g. Long webpages, no scrolling sections, etc).

I will thus continue with my design, which has much in common, but tries not to make certain errors. The problem is the content!

Riccardo