Re: elementary OS

From: Kevin Ingwersen
Subject: Re: elementary OS
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 20:52:54 +0100

Hey.

I know, I pop in rather random…but i just felt i needed to put my cent here.

First, I share many of your opinions, but I have a few other views. GNUstep is
indeed a nice project, and it might have chased its own tail…but that was,
because some important concepts werent done right; Try to redistribute a
GNUstep app. Its impossible. That is why, when I tried to make an OS X port of
gnustep so the API could be compared better, i wanted to build essentially
EVERYTHING as a static library. That way, the resulting binaries would have
everything they needed.

I do belive that, if some work and major refactoring was done, GNUstep could
try again. In fact, I was thinking about a way to fork and modify GNUstep
myself to change it quite some. For one, I wanted to make redistributing
easier. Second, I wanted to turn it into a portable toolchain - so I could
embed it into my package manger that also isntalls from source - so the
toolchain would have been the same across each OS. And then there is also the
issue that GNUstep has a heavy lot of dependencies - so unless itwas made all
static, it wouldnt be possible to redistribute a single binary, without
distributing anything else from GNUstep.

Honestly, I hope that GNUstep can find a way to raise again. The idea is really
great, and its not only because I love Objective-C++ xD.

Giving the site a redesign might being a bit of reshness into its place… but
what GNUstep needs, would be a new advertising. Like, the SDK I am almost done
developing advertises that its ultra easy to use, and brings native API into a
browser. In fact - I am binding nodejs and CEF so tight together, that it is
still customizable, but offers unique API. But aside with that… x3. Originally,
I wanted to develop Deskshell completely in Objective-C++…but then, the
dependency load came up.

Honestly though, I have not seen elementaryOS yet, but I would try it. Simply
because I love trying out new things. But GNUstep doesnt really sound like an
OS - and afaik, its not either x3.

I would list the ideas I had in more detail here, but thats not the right place
to do so.

Basically, I just want to express that I hope that GNUstep can make its way
into a userbase, that enjoys to rely on it and using it.

Just my cents ont hat … kind regards, Ingwie~