Re: Phoenix language

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Phoenix language
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:29:39 +0100

On 22 Oct 2014, at 18:14, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote:

>> John Siracusa's review of Yosemite is extensive; for this thread, the
>> embedded extensive overview of Swift is more interesting. I would highly
>> recommend reading pages 21, 22, 23 as an overview of what makes Swift
>> interesting. It sounds like the added step of compiling code into SIL before
>> compiling and optimizing SIL into LLVM IR makes some interesting
>> optimizations possible.
>>   http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/21/
>>
>> I'd be particularly interested in hearing from Gregory what is the intended
>> pipeline in Phoenix and how it compares to what Swift compiler is doing.
>
> Yes, that would be interesting to learn how the architecture is intended to
> look like. If it is a pre-compiler (using some other for real binary code
> generation) or it it is intended to generate bytecode or whatever.

I would also be interested in this.  Looking at the existing code, it looks
like a compiler that is based on the state of the art circa 1970 that would
need a complete redesign to be comparable to anything vaguely modern.  I
appreciate that there's a strong desire for people to leap into this kind of
project, but designing a compiler for a modern language is not a trivial task.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom