Re: GNUstep dev guide

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep dev guide
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:15:27 +0100

Hi,

Graham Lee wrote:
I found a lot of people on places like reddit, askubuntu and stackoverflow are discovering that GNUstep is the thing to use for Objective-C on Linux and other platforms, but hitting a wall after installing it. What do I do now? I've tried following Apple's docs but there's nothing like Xcode here? I want to use ObjC, so why is this page in Swift?

I've launched http://www.gnustep-developer.guide/ to try and close that gap. Currently there's one guide there (an introduction to PC and Gorm), but I plan to write a collection of tutorials that show how to use GNUstep to write applications.

Well, to be honest we have some pieces of "information" that go beyond the mere documentation. If you go here: http://www.gnustep.org/developers/documentation.html we have a series of mini-tutorials, with example code and also screenshots, like this: http://www.gnustep.org/experience/PierresDevTutorial/index.html (updated by myself from an older version that was floating around and that google still picks up).

Now I was in the process of writing a new tutorial myself (did not end it yet) and wanted to share it and had the thought of documentation, we have several options 1) official website: cumbersome, only the webmasters have access to it and it has the "official" status, so maybe only very selected tutorials and only things regarding official frameworks. I wanted to document using stuff from GAP, so perhaps gnustep.org is not the best place 2) WIKI: it would have the advantage that more people could collaborate it, it is easier to write. However you have the WIKI format, while plain HTML is easy to package separately
3) third place, like yours

It would be best to concentrate efforts, so I pick up discussion even if my tutorial is not there yet.

I wonder thus by using your site about
- is it wise to use TEX to write this and show it as webpages? Maybe HTML with some CSS could make things more appealing, including a blend with the official site - related with the above, is perhaps the organization of the site. I see you snap pages and images in a root, imagine having many tutorials! - use of GFDL? I know it is the preferred format for GNU projects, but for many people it is considered to have too have issues and CDDL is preferred. If we make something more official, we should discuss this.

Just some starting points.

Riccardo