Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:37:21 +0200

Hi Patrick,

Patrick CARDONA wrote:
There is no such package, perhaps it was a typo?
I need to refresh ("Tools/Hide desktop" then "Tools/Show desktop")
to see this icon on the desktop of the workspace.
This is probably a GWorkspace bug, could be fixed.

Hi Yavor,

Thanks for Your aknowledgement.

Well, I got wmudmount.app [1] from a rpm and converted this app with Alien.
[1] https://www.dockapps.net/wmudmount

It is true that it does not come from Debian repository.
But I did not found a simple way to manage usb disks in the user space.
Maybe I do not the things the right way within GWorkspace. But I did not find a
tuto about this.
Is GWorkspace using DBUS messaging between apps and udisks2 ?

Now I understand: you do not see your removable disk on the desktop?

Did you try setting your dynamic mount points with SystemPreferences? GWorkspace uses NSWorkspace to get that information. If you have the permissions to "mount" the disk yourself, you can do that with GWorkspace and then also unmount it by trashing it.

GWorkspace on purpose does not connect with dbus or other daemons because every OS has its own trick and I did not find a portable way which also matches GNUstep's base behaviour: actual disk management is done by NSWorkspace of GNUstep, not GWorkspace... well, almost.

However if you can get it to show later, then something with the file monitoring is fishy... could need be investigated what exactly is going on.

Riccardo