GCC and Clang

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: GCC and Clang
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 11:38:38 -0500

The way I see it, we have two ways we can go. In each, I have outlined what I believe needs to be done.  It may or may not be complete:

LLVM/Clang:
1) Improve libobjc2 such that it can
   a) function properly on a wider set of platforms.   This means
      i) Correct build issues it has in on some environments.
      ii) Simplifying the build of it on Windows
           (i.e., don't require Visual Studio :))

GCC
1) Implement syntactic sugar
   a) This includes @[], @{}, and @autorelease as well as
   b) Various @property directives
   c) Improvements to the GCC libobjc to support the new syntax
      i) Implementation of ARC in the runtime

I believe that both of these are doable and, ultimately, free software is about choice.  The above are our options as I see them.

Just FYI guys, I do know where these changes need to take place in the GCC source code... at least for GCC #1a and 1b.  The big challenge with GCC is ARC.

Also, I am looking into Clang #1a.ii listed above.  I am going to try to make libobjc2 work properly on Windows.

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron