Re: GCC and Clang

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GCC and Clang
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:01:42 +0000

> On 11 Feb 2022, at 02:53, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The way I see it, we have two ways we can go. In each, I have outlined
>> what I believe needs to be done.  It may or may not be complete:
>>
>> LLVM/Clang:
>> 1) Improve libobjc2 such that it can
>>   a) function properly on a wider set of platforms.   This means
>>      i) Correct build issues it has in on some environments.
>>      ii) Simplifying the build of it on Windows
>>           (i.e., don't require Visual Studio :))
>
> Before dropping GCC support in GNUstep,

As I understand it, the discussion is about the possibility of switching from
GCC to Clang as the preferred compiler for new development.

That's a *very* different thing from what the phrase 'dropping GCC support'
suggests.

There is no suggestion of rewriting all GNUstep code to require Clang; that
would be silly.