Re: Should we split the project into two branches?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Should we split the project into two branches?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 00:06:42 +0100

Hi Frederik,

Frederik Seiffert wrote:

> I’d never write any new *app* code without ARC, and would definitely
> recommend converting any existing apps if you can control the
> environment where they are built, but IMO it’s fine that the GNUstep
> libraries don’t use it – it definitely doesn’t keep me from
> contributing. Most of the code works and is well tested over the
> years/decades, and so I’m not sure what exactly would be gained by a
> conversion in comparison to the downside of loosing GCC users.

thank you. As a more recent contributor, your words confort me. True
that sometimes we had to smooth out some of your commits, but I found
them and you or other fixed them, to the gain of all.

I continue to think that a restriction into core libraries is
acceptable, if it leaves the freedom for your "app code" (or... other
code you need of course).

As if so many people voicing here their opinion are actually
contributing to core and have difficulties to do that. Most people are
"users" in the senses I explained in my other mail.

As you write, the loss could be big, but something could be gained: more
compact code, with possibly (debatable!) less errors.

Riccardo

PS: indeed I think there is no servce in continuing to denigrate our own
project, including menacing splits or fork. It was my first thought too,
but I hope it can be avoided, by a single solution with options or
configurations.