Re: Should we split the project into two branches?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Should we split the project into two branches?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 16:43:39 +0000

> On 14 Feb 2022, at 14:59, Max Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 14, 2022, at 8:23 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
>> <richard@frithmacdonald.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> On 14 Feb 2022, at 11:43, Max Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> There are over and over again arguments on moving on to LLVM/clang for
>>> latest language features versus maintaining compatibility with old/uncommon
>>> platforms and GCC,
>>
>> Really this is simply not the case among GNUstep developers.
>> Those of us who actually use the stuff just work with whatever we
>> prefer/need, because GNUstep already works with both toolchains.
>
> The hard requirement of allowing building using GCC means we are restricted
> to language features equivalent of OS X 10.6.8 or iOS 4.3.5,

Please don't spread such nonsense on the mailing lists.

The fact that we have a huge base of code that builds with both GCC and clang
(and a small part that only functions when built with clang) in no way
restricts us in the way we write new code.

Having highly portable code is a strong point, but that doesn't mean that *all*
features are equally portable or that contributors are required to write
perfect portable code.

It does the project a huge disservice to tell developers they 'have to use an
ancient version of the language'. Please don't do it.