Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Gettext

From: Laurent Destailleur (eldy)
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Gettext
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:22:39 +0100

Le 22/03/2012 10:44, Sasa Ostrouska a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Laurent Destailleur (eldy)
<address@hidden>  wrote:
Yes we think of it but we discard gettext for 2 reasons :
* Gettext need to use original translation string into main code. this is
not a good way of working. we must have a key inside code but not hard coded
value, even it's hard coded value of only one language. Pb with this is that
each time, there is a typo error into original language (english), we fix it
into source code, but this break all translation for all other language
because the key used to translate other files is
* Gettext use binary systems and is not compliant with our rule "easy to
use, easy to develop". Any user with no technical knowledge must be able to
edit the translation file. For this a falt text file is really better.
* Gettext need a PHP setup not always activated to be used by PHP. We want o
software with no need of any PHP plugin at all, only PHP.
3 points for dolibarr system
* The advantage of gettext we miss, is that there is technical tools to
detect when a translation is changed to to update language file to add a tag
inside it to tell "this sentence may need to be updated".
1 point for gettext.

Also, the point 1 and 2 was the most important for us, we choose to not use
gettext.

Ok I understand the reasons. But what is the reason to have the
strings in variables instead of having them
in the code hardcoded ?

Probably just to ease the translation. Correct ?
Yes.
And because having to change source code juste when there is a type error is someting awful. Also a same string can be at several places. We don't want to change at each place when the original translation has to be changed, but only twice.

Rgds
Saxa