Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:22:56 -0400

I agree it could have been handled better. However, the problem was that me, Bradley, and Toni, were all in France, and that there was extremely limited internet access. Maybe at most once a day we could ask something, but if we did that it would have taken too long, and often decisions had to be made within hours, not days. In the future it will not be done like this again. What we should have asked for was key people's phone numbers, since getting a phone was actually often more possible than getting online.

The FSF press release represents the best that could be done when it was impossible to reach anyone who needed to make further decisions and with the deadline that was...forced upon everyone.

Myrddian wrote:

I'm actually more than just a little disappointed.  (But the
weaknesses of the FSF press release may be more the fault of
Ximian than the fault of the FSF, as apparently Ximian has put
the FSF under extreme time pressure.  I hope that in the future
there will be enough time to consult with us before making a
press release.)

Yeah the lack of consultation, considering that we did not asked our opinion
on the mailing list.

I also felt personally isolated from this process, they only asked David and Tony, which have entered some what late on this discussion. At least they could of asked Norbert or me
about it.
I think that it is really unfortunate that the press release
does not discuss why we consider Microsoft's actions to be a
threat for Free Software and Freedom in general, and why the
DotGNU and Mono projects are countermeasures against this threat.
- That is the message that needs to be sent out in order to
attract the developers who are needed for our huge project.

I am not surprised that this press release has unfortunately
resulted in the kind of press that shows us as in some way
endorsing Microsoft's initiative.  I'm really upset about this
outcome.

Personally I agree, it has made us look more like imitators, and as such we do
not
need that kind of press. Also the way the press has been pointing to our soluttion as something like nothing more than a plain .NET clone is not what we need.

Well my opnion stands that if we should go about this, we should keep it low
for now,
we officially announce the project, and get it rolling.

After a while we make a shout and get attention so they can take a look at the progress we have made. __________________________________________
Myrddian <address@hidden(nospam)au>