[DotGNU]Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility

From: tali streit
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:54:35 +1000

Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:

tali streit wrote:

Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

I am worried about this because i believe that from a PR perspective we
should not be seen as "playing catchup to .NET". if we are seen as that, we

We had/have been playing catchup to Unix for years now, and I dont think
of this as a failure on our part. Now we are at a stage to start donig
some real innovations... but playing catchup is not always bad.

Unix had a long history before GNU.
.NET and DotGNU are both new.

1. give credibility to .NET (why else would we copy it?)

If you think it takes *us* to give .NET credibility, then I think you
need to look at the business world a little harder.

People who might otherwise wait to see what we come up with may decide to start in MS land and switch over when we have something. I do not think this in our best interests.

If we manage to create a media storm about DotGNU, many companies (particularly those with unix) will be very interested.

the difference between a bunch of "compatible projects to .NET" and "a whole project superior to .NET", is ".NET is the way" and "hang on, what is this alternative?"

that said, i am talking about a PR advantage, not a technical one.

Most of big business
could care less what we the free software community thinks of .NET
They want to know what companies like IBM think of it, and IBM is
supporting .NET. So I think that IBM supporting MS.NET gives .NET more
credibility than anything we could possibly do.

In the end the proof is in the pudding. people switch sides. we have nothing to show as yet... but that will change. how we deal with our PR in the first weeks of release will probably be one of the most important moments in DotGNU development. (IMO)

Also, should we NOT be giving it some credit? Alot of the concepts are
very cool and can sokve real problems. Should we denounce it simply
because it came from Microsoft?

yes, because it is flawed. if it is not flawed, what are we doing here? :)

and giving the statements from MS as
reasons we should not duplicate some of what they are doing is short
sighted.

technically, i agree with you 100%
all i am saying is from a PR point of view we should not be seen to be duplicating it.

I do very much respect your opinion, and simply disagree. I may be
wrong... but this is just *my* opinion

good, that is what this is all about :)