[DotGNU]Re: Developers digest, Vol 1 #68 - 16 msgs

From: Daniel Thomas
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Developers digest, Vol 1 #68 - 16 msgs
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:27:45 +1000

Damn I clicked the wrong button and sent an empty mail...

anyway

http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/07/26/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/index.htm#mundie

It looks like we don't have to worry about redmond being the only possible
auth source for hailstorm yet.

daniel

>>> Zimran Ahmed <address@hidden> 07/27/01 12:05pm >>>
>Well, if you are already talking to people how look on Linux
>favorably, then I'd say something like:
>
>     DotGNU is to .NET, as Linux is to Windows.  If you like
>     Linux, then you will love DotGNU.
>
>Or something like that.

this would not be quite true though. Linux is a competitor to windows.
Depending on how DotGNU and .NET ends up being implemented, anything
using that architecture could still have to go through servers in Redmond
(as it is currently described, authentication from .NET *has* to come
from Microsoft).

So, DotGNU is something that help Windows spread its liscensing regime to
more places. Of course, all of this depends on how Microsoft ends up
decided to implement its authentication services, but given past
behavior, i know where the smart money should be.

zimran