Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib development - System.Xml ...

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib development - System.Xml ...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:17:21 +1000

Karthik Kumar wrote:

> Hello,
>   This one is with regard to the pnetlib development. I had
> subscribed to the developer mailing list long back and I am watching
> this for a particular period of time. I am really confused about one
> thing - Is Mono going to be integrated with the DotGNU project ?

There are no plans at present to do this.  There are some
fundamental licensing and co-operation disagreements.
These disagreements have been well-documented in the
list archives, so I won't go into them again here.

For the time being, the plan is to continue development
of pnetlib separately from Mono.  If there is something
we can use, we will use it.  Otherwise we will do
our own thing.

>    In case if it is to be done separately, may be  I could start with
> developing the System.Xml namespace/classes , but my only botheration
> is that the work should not be a redundant one ?

If you wish to contribute code for System.Xml, that would
be great. Work on the classes and send me the changes.

Mono may have surpassed pnetlib in terms of the number
of classes implemented, but that is due to the number of
people working on it compared to pnetlib.  If we DotGNU
developers work together, we will quickly overtake them.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to better manage the
development of pnetlib so that others can contribute.