Re: [DotGNU]Fw: javaByteCode -> IL Compiler

From: Gaurav Vaish
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Fw: javaByteCode -> IL Compiler
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:10:37 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gopal V" <address@hidden>
To: "Gaurav Vaish" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 20:27

: I tried writing the stack type prediction algorithm from a bit of
: the Kaffe verifier. But ended up getting dumped. Also I'm alone in
: this stuff and the exams came up at that time etc.....

    Well, now you may find the team here. Right now three people here.

: If you need another developer, I am quite ready to work on this stuff.
: I'll help you out with code/JVM reference. I have some useful experience
: with the JVM. If you are not using Pnet's library for reading class files,
: I have my mini-project (java assembler/disassembler) which I can hack into
: sort of an API for reading JVM bytecode. But I think Rhys will prefer that
: you use getMethodCode for getting method info. (I dunno how you're going
: to resolve constant pool entries from this !, ask Rhys...)

    I have not been using pnet-lib as of now, but I do have the latest cvs.
"constant pool entries" - what's that? Alienated :(

    Anyway, besides putting all the variables into stack first and giving their
types (unlike java, where type is allocated when the value is first assigned),
there's another topic of concern -- in IL, interfaces cannot have variables
while in java an interface may have only constants!
    Also, there's problem with switch-case thing... continuous flow in IL is not
possible, it's same as with or without break!
    I mean, these are some of the superficial problems that I perceive, besides
other technical problems which currently I am not aware of. Right now I am
trying to put my head in "Java Virtual Machine Specs" downloaded from Java
website.

: I think we could use one more "Meet Rhys" irc chat. Can you use
: IRC (firewall ?). The first chat resulted in what you now see as the
: pnetlib class-status page.

    I can't, on Windows. Once chat time is fixed (I guess, Thu latenight? - I
recall, it became about 0000hrs here - I can't afford this right now -- have
classes from 0800hrs in **winter mornings**), I can go to Linux and tunnel
through using gabber.

Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish
http://mastergaurav.virtualave.net
http://calendar.yahoo.com/mastergaurav

:
: Gopal.V
: --
:  The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success
: || GNU RULEZ ||