Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:27:05 -0400 (EDT)

If one takes an existing standard, "estimates" things that can be
implimented around them, and then starts writing patent applications for
this, if the patent office actually did it's job such patents should not
be granted or valid, even before considering how flawed the very notion of
patents on software, on ideas, is.

A patent has to be both "original" and "non-obvious to people versed in
the art".  If I look at SOAP, consider the current direction of the
evolving standard, and then say, "hmm, it doesn't yet include encryption,
clearly it is needed at some point as part of a future revision of the
standard, let me patent that in front of them", clearly it is both trivial
and something obvious.  Shotgunning a patent around a standard this way
should be considered criminal behavior.