Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:04:29 +0200

Adam Theo wrote:

> Hear, hear!
>
> I agree, the world does *not* need another scripting language, unless
> you spoke to the leaders and major developers of at least 2 of the other
> main ones and got them to merge their efforts into yours (good luck).
>
> I say adopt and contribute back to an existing open/free one such as
> Perl, Python, or maybe even better (dunno, no first hand experience),
> Ruby. This would be so much better than trying to make one from scratch
> when I (and I'm sure many others, too) have enough trouble keeping track
> of the existing ones.

I've been looking into Ruby, it seems like it has all the stuff needed
for DotGNU scripting, and it's portable.

I believe it should be possible to make a Ruby extension library (or an
extension to the source of the interpreter) allowing it to use IL code,
the extension libs (and the interpreter) are written in C, pnet is
written in C, so as far as I can see we could make an extension that
connects to the pnet engine code and uses it to work with IL.

I'm not quite sure if the things I thought of will actually work but if
they work we would have a seriously cool scripting system :-).

Greetings,

Peter

PS: This does not mean that SilverScript is dead, just asleep.