Re: [DotGNU]Re: Help on ilnative

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Help on ilnative
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:54:33 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> The "ilnative" program prints all methods that are
> implemented by native C code (internalcall's and
> PInvoke's).  Because hello.exe has no native methods,
> it prints nothing.  Try "ilnative mscorlib.dll" instead.

Argh ! .. did someone think ilnative is a native compiler
for IL !... (I have made that mistake when I saw it first ..)

> In general, there are a few programs like "ilcheck",
> "ilinternal", "csdocvalil", etc, that exist only for
> special purposes.  They aren't very useful for general
> users, so they aren't installed during "make install".

We might (or need to) include some of them in the pnet-dev
packages we will be shipping ... eg csdoc2test can be used
for autogenerating CSUnit test cases, Object Modelling tools
can be used for generating csdoc XML files (because XML files
can be read and modified more easily than C#) and stubs generated
from these files ...

> Gopal, do you mind if I remove "ilcheck" from the tree
> given that it is no longer required, or do you still need
> it for something?

I was going to redo it as 'pinvokecheck' , for checking whether
all the pinvoke funcs in an image are in the corresponding dynlib.
(It's something I keep forgetting ... ;-)

Will remove ilcheck and replace it with pinvokecheck , if that's
Ok with you .. But that will be tomorrow ;-)