Re: [DotGNU]A Stargazer snapshot...

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A Stargazer snapshot...
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:23:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, [iso-8859-1] Vassilis Pandis wrote:

> SF.net has a broader user database though and would
> help. Coding something that nobody uses is quite
> boring :)

This is the wrong way to think about this.  Savannah has a broad userbase,
even if it's not as broad as sourceforge's.  But, it's also been around
for a considerably shorter time and spent most of that time exclusively
servicing the GNU project.   So, that it has a smaller userbase is not
unexpected.

However, the more used projects get hosted on savannah, the greater the
userbase size will be.  And thus, the greater the userbase size, the
greater the number of people working on the savannah software itself will
be - and the better savannah will become.  Sourceforge is basically a
proprietary infrastructure now.  It doesn't serve our purposes anymore.

One solution to your concern, though, is to open up a sourceforge project
account and point people to your savannah project space.

If what you're looking for is advertisement, then sourceforge does that
quite well. :)

If you're concerned about the userbase of developers to add to the
project, well - adding a savannah account doesn't take long at all.  And
if a developer isn't willing to setup an account on savannah to work on
stargazer, what exactly do you want that developer around for in the first
place?

MS Windows is more popular - but you don't see us focusing on MS Windows
as a primary platform, do you? :)  Freedom is more important than
popularity.

:)

> Ok. So I'll do what I have to do to try to make it a
> 'GNU project' and in the meantime its latest release
> can be bundled with DotGNU packages when they are
> released. Or am I not getting something here ?

If it's a GNU package, we can technically bundle it if we want to.   But,
the Steering Committee will vote on it's inclusion into DotGNU.   I agree
with Gopal, though, stargazer works best as a GNU package for the entire
GNU system.

        -Barry, checking my new mail while on vacation.