Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:16:59 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Verbaim distribution and processing it eletronically via xpdf is
> allowed. So it the sending it via cscc on the way.

I disagreed with your assessment previously, and I still do now.

Let me state for the record that I cannot, and will not, endorse
any such modification to the ECMA standard unless I have a signed
permission slip from Microsoft in my hand.  DotGNU cannot afford
the legal liability should your interpretation turn out to be
incorrect.

> Microsoft never bother him, just said that he cannot redistribute the
> source. I gotta publish my letter on slashdot. I bet they will accept
> that.

He is making it available for viewing in an alternative format.
Since viewing the standard is the primary reason why it was published,
that is unlikely to raise any eyebrows.  But extracting the examples
to produce a test suite is beyond the scope of the original publication
intent.

Just because you want it to be interpreted your way doesn't make
it that way.  When dealing with MS, it is best to be paranoid.