Re: [DotGNU]Xml Alien Invasion - A standards war

From: minddog
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Xml Alien Invasion - A standards war
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:34:48 -0700

If I'm not mistaken Gopal V wrote:
> Now that broke .ReadOuterXml() for obvious reasons ...
>
> <tag stuff="foo">
> </tag>
>
> became
>
> <tag
> </tag>

And now it has become

<tag stuff="foo">
</tag>

again...

> > I'm writing testcases so we can do sanity checks from now on.
>
> We really need those to make sure that fixes don't break other
> ``stuff'' ...

I'm not commiting anymore to reader till I finish and add the test cases, but
keep bug reports coming, it really helps ;)

> Since XmlDocument does not use these , I'm sure it's not b0rked by
> such ... (thank god for ReadNode() )....

It's stupid for XmlDocument not too... it would be like pumping air into a
tire at the tire plant and then deflating it for delivery if we used Read.
XmlDocument has its own attributeCollection in each element it builds so why
would it need to cruise across memory when it could just do it right the
first time.

> I want a ReadStartElement() which seems to be in MS .NET .... And
> btw, we should be reading XmlTextReader.Remainder to see what's read
> by a single Read() and not the original stream....

hrmm... got a test case? and some examples from different platforms...

> So I think your interpretation of the Read() just might be right , could
> someone check the following program in .NET please ?... though the mono
> implementation is working, that does not mean it's always complete or
> implemented upto spec to use as a reference .....

We'll do our best to be upto par soon, and then we will make it better.

I plan on finishing up all the TODO's in XmlTextReader once the testcases are
in.

> We should actually stop replicating Mono quirks here and focus on keeping
> implementation clean and upto spec ....

We're only going so far to have the same output to all specs, not only mono.
Clean is not my middle name, but I've already begun to remove the garbage.

regards,

--
--minddog( Adam Ballai )

"I try to take it one day at a time, but several of them attack me at once."
-mistyflip