Re: [DotGNU][OT] The GPL and Creativity : What is Intent, Fair Use and w

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU][OT] The GPL and Creativity : What is Intent, Fair Use and why does it have no meaning in Free Software?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:35:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Now, let me say one thing about Intent.  [...] it does not
> > have anything to do with Free Software.
>
> I disagree.  If you try to use a program in a way that it's intended
> to be used, and it doesn't work correctly, you have found a bug.
>
> If you try to use a program in a way that it's not intended to be
> used, and it doesn't work like you want, then that's not a bug until
> you fork the project, thereby creating a new intent for the code.

Ok. You are talking about support.  Still in terms of code, functions
and packaging of code we have to look at them as just operations.

A sine wave function may have been found with the intent of describing
circles, but it finds usage in the creation of music.

My whole point is that it is difficult to define intended use for free
software, and it is impossible to enforce. The very nature of free
software resists the idea of limiting its usage in any way.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/