Re: [DotGNU]Howdy

From: Shawn Wagner
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Howdy
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:25:25 -0700

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:15:23AM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> You wrote:
> I discovered pnet on freshmeat, and I'd like to help out a bit. I'm mostly
> > interested in using it to compile C programs, not C# (Using it as an easy
> > way to test a 64-bit environment),
>
> Ok, so you've already got pnet compiled and running on a 64 bit box ?
> (just so that I can add that to the "Platforms ported to") list ...

Nope, can't say I do. I want to use pnet as a 64-bit environment, not run it
on a 64-bit CPU. It'd be nice to have access to such hardware, but I don't.

> > but the pnetC library is pretty skimpy at
> > the moment, making it hard to get useful stuff running.
>
> The original plan was to do a standard glibc port ie .. use the steps
> needed for porting glibc to a new platform. To replace the platform POSIX
> calls and use the rest of the API. PnetC was supposed to be a stand-in
> replacement till that date.

Hmm. Doesn't glibc make a lot of assumptions about running on linux, making
porting it to target IL a royal pain? I'm pretty sure there's other libcs
that would be easier to get compiling under cscc. uClibc, maybe, or netlib.
Have to do some research.

> it would be a wasted effort trying to implement stuff like printf() formatting
> afresh in pnetC ..
>
> > on the patch manager as soon as I figure out how. Do you have to create a
> > savannah account first? Never used it before.
>
> I see that you've already dumped the patch to savannah ... (sorry,
> my devel box is down now, will check it later on) .... though I would say
> I'm very impressed by the way your code (except the brace indents and
> formatting details...)

I really don't like the practice of putting braces on separate lines. It's
just so, hmm, ugly and inelegant. But that's what the indent program is for.

--
Shawn Wagner
address@hidden