Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Pnet-developers] Re: back to Emit problems

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Pnet-developers] Re: back to Emit problems
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 00:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Answering 2 questions at once ...

> > What is your typical approch? gdb, traces
> > code-reading and neural execution? :o)

I mostly use traces... and lots of code-reading.

Generally, I pull the code out of the library into
a simple program and make it work there and then
move it back in..

I used to do that because till the october of 2002
cscc was not able to build pnetlib from sources...
(and I started on pnet sometime in Aug/Sept 2001).

> That's a good question. Is there any way to debug
> programs created with pnet? I mean some sort of
> gdb-like program.

There was something called an ildb in the engine ..
but that's discontinued now ... The new JIT
will/should
let you debug C# code with gdb ... when it finally
comes out :)

But, if you look very carefully at CVM opcodes there's
an opcode named COP_BREAK which is the hook into the
debugger .. What the debugger will do is it will
inject
COP_BREAK into every line-number marked offset ..
A function named _ILIsBreak() is executed to check if
the debugger has set a break point there. Which then
does an _ILBreak ... Finally we end up calling the
engine->process->debugHookFunc .

Now, actually we need to hook up a debugger frontend
to this to have a CVM debugger .... So, essentially
we don't have a debugger yet.