Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question about Using the Encrypt and Sign Keys

From: Charles Knowlton
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question about Using the Encrypt and Sign Keys
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:37:37 -0500

On Apr 24, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

Charles Knowlton wrote:
I have created 2 different GnuPG keys on my VPS Server. One used for signing and one used for encryption.
Both of the keys have a different passphrase.
On my home computer I have unix and I was wondering could I have shell a script from my home unix box run Duplicity on my VPS and create the backups for me using the GnuPG Keys that I have on the VPS Server?

As long as the keys are on the VPS server, yes.  Should be no problem.

Even better is, can I create 2 different GnuPG keys on my home unix box and use them to Sign and Encrypt my backups on my VPS Server using Duplicity without passing my passphrase over the net? Duplicity is installed on the VPS Server.

I don't see how that would work since gnupg would need access to the keys in order to sign/en(de)crypt. If you can SSH to your VPS, then your passphrase would not go over the net unencrypted. If you can't SSH, then is the connection encrypted some other way?

I can SSH to my VPS Server. The main thing I am trying to do is keep my Keys used with Duplicity for Signing and Encryption, on my Home Unix Box for security. From what I have read there would be no way to keep my passphrase from being known within my VPS Server. Processes could be looked at, logs, etc. But if my Keys that I use to Sign and Encrypt are on my Home Unix Box then if a hacker broke into my VPS Server they wouldn't be able to mess with my backups. I send my backups to an off-site backup server and then after that is done I use my SFTP Program on my Home Unix Box to download the backups from the off-site backup server. I hope this clears up what I am trying to do.

...Ken

Regards,
Charles Knowlton