[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity, OS X custom extended file attributes(metadat

From: Saptarshi Guha
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity, OS X custom extended file attributes(metadata)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:35:06 -0400

Hello,
It appears Duplicity does not update custom file attributes for OS X kd*** metadata , e.g

        Example 1
I download Senuti.app, and copied to a directory,which i backed up to a remote Linux server. If I open Senuti.app for the first time, i get a warning message from OS X indicating that i am running it for the first time (based on **com.apple.quarantine** attribute) I now remove the folder containing Senuti.app and then restore this folder using Duplicity, however, the com.apple.quarantine tag has disappeared and when
        Senuti.app is clicked no such warning appears.

        Example 2:
I have written a custom email tagger, which adds kMDItemKeyword and kMDItemComment to a given email message( .emlx files when using Mail.app)
        Running mdls on the email message indeed displays these two attributes.
If this email is backed up, deleted and then restored, the extra kMDItemKeywords and kMDItemComment have vanished.

        Rdiff-backup does not seem to suffer from this.

        Hoping to find a solution.
        Regards
        Saptarshi