Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verification of filelists, multiprocessing

From: Cláudio Gil
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verification of filelists, multiprocessing
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:27:21 +0000

Hi,

About pararelism, from what I could see, duplicity processes your files as a stream, a long sequence of files. Encryption is also sequential by design (that's why GnuPG, what duplicity uses, does not use threads).

Maybe paralelization could be introduced in a few select points of duplicity. But the part that is mostly CPU-bound is the encryption and encrypting a file will use 1 core.

Since the entire volume is encrypted and not the files in it, you could test the difference between between backing up 250MB (10 volumes, by default) with encryption and backing up the same files without encryption and then encrypting all the volumes with multiple GnuPG processes (using "parallel" or something).

It's an interesting comparison. It's not obvious if it be faster and how changing the volume size affects the result.

Cheers,
Cláudio