dvdrtools-users

RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVD-A04

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVD-A04
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:15:26 -0400

Suggestion: If you are buying this online, look for the DVR-104 model. It is
the same hardware as the DVR-A04, but in "OEM" packaging and is about US$50
cheaper.

> But, I am not sure how sensible is the media (rw-dvds), should I buy
> Pioneer dvds ?? (Uhm, haven't found it in the local store...)

I've had good experience using "DVD-Pro" DVD-R and DVD-RW discs, available at
supermediastore.com. Not sure if they are 1X or 2X... some software I have
burns it at 2X, others do not. I've burned about 75 of these @ 2X (data verify
on) and haven't had any problems.

Any DVD-R or RW media should be OK... I have not YET seen "cheapie" discs where
the media is NOT laminated on both sides. I've come across this with CD-Rs and
it's not fun when the shiny part peels or flakes off.

All brands I've tried are good, and the maor difference between them is how
well they work in certain DVD-Video players.

-Scott

> Could you tell me about your experience ??
>
> If I put the computer in a rack, the cd device will be
> vertical, the left
> part of it will be up, and the righ part will be down. Is it
> ok ?? (What
> will happen if the cd device opens ???)

The DVR-A/104 tray does have those "tabs" which are supposed to secure media
when mounted in this position. I've never used any sideways mounted optical
drive, so I can't comment how well this works in practice...