dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: New page: DVD Standards Comparison by DriveGene

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: New page: DVD Standards Comparison by DriveGeneration
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:23:41 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Andy Polyakov <address@hidden>:

> ^^^^??? ProDVD never could record DVD+, correction should be applied
> to *all* generations.

Correct.  I've noted no compatibility, except for DVD-R(G) on the Sony.

> > So, DVD+RW supports both CLV and CAV,
>                       ^^^^ when it comes to DVD+ recording, CLV is the
> only option. Playback is CAV, but then it's rated higher than 2.4x and
> even 4x. If you want to discuss playback, you probably should
> introduce separate line.

Correct.  I've limited CAV discussion to improved read performance.

> I can see you've updated even "Record(GPL)" line adding "CDR2+patch."
> dvd+rw-tools are licensed under GPL and support DVD+RW, DVD+R
> (verified to work with wide range of DVD+ units), as well as DVD-R
> and DVD-RW recordings (verified with SONY and Pioneer units).
> And in a sense it (growisofs) support even DVD-RAM recording, at
> least it's possible to seamlessly grow ISO9660 volumes directly on
> DVD-RAM media:-)

Okay, I guess I need to figure out how the DVD+RW tools work.  I assumed they
were a set of kernel patches to added rewrite support with any Linux supported
filesystem (like DVD-RAM), but I assumed wrong?  Are they simply a set of
programs that allow user-space access to the device?

Thanx for all your time in educating me.

--
Bryan J. Smith  (suffix-free title for your protection)
mailto:address@hidden          http://www.thebs.org