edu-eu

Re: New to the group

From: Kristian A . Rink
Subject: Re: New to the group
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:17:04 -0500

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:49:25 +0200
Christian Selig <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Susan,
> hello others,

Hello all...

> Susan Stewart wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone!  I'm a little new to the group, so if this is already
> > going on and I missed it let me know...
>

> Not much. I'm List Admin and receive 1-2 spam emails to the list that I
> have to delete, but there's not much else going on :-/

Hmmm, indeed, I haven't recieved anything through here in ages, already
thought this list to be dead... Nice to see I was wrong. :]

> Indeed we (German FSuB e.V., "Association for Free Software and
> Education") have identified the lack of GNU/Linux support and training
Well, this is quite interesting, haven't heard about this so far.
Actually, being a GNU(in first place)/Linux - supporter and enthusiastic
user now for more than five years, I am spending same this time trying to
place GNU/Linux and free software wherever it is possible to me. Aiming at
the educational sector always has been a major concern to me since, right
here, it would give "us" (the GNU / Free Software supporters) a very good
base to get people interested in our aims and our software, in even (at
least) make people aware that buying / working with a personal computer
doesn't necessarily mean saying "Yes, I will" to Microsoft, their software
and their licenses. As Joerg Tauss (who I am, despite his other political
works, at least appreciating for his dedication to Free Software usage in
German government) stated on Chemnitz LinuxTag some weeks ago: "It's hard
to understand why German schools should do free-of-charge product training
for a company like Microsoft", I guess by using GNU/Linux and related
products at schools we even would have the situation making pupils
familiar to *concepts* of different things rather than a merely
"Click-the-'Start'-button" - behaviour caused by a computer education tied
too much to a specific operating system, to a specific desktop
environment, to specific software. So, to cut things short: I would
appreciate it if you could provide me with some information about this
FSuB e.V., I really am curious how to get involved / how to help there
(feel free to also contact me off-list and possibly in German language ;)
).

> After June, I will even be able to donate Web space and bandwidth. >
> What about including GNU/Linux introducory materials targeted at >
schools, in multiple languages? I have already written some ...

If needed, I also could be of help writing some stuff on GNU/Linux -
related topics. I have been lately writing articles for example for
www.linuxnetmag.de and several other (web/print) ressources and guess I
this way achieved some basic skills in writing things. :)

> Bye,
>    Christian

Cheers, have a nice weekend everyone wherever you are.
Kris

--
...gross ist nur, was man nicht erkennen kann,
...und groesser noch, was man nicht begreift.