Re: tool-tip default

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:32:54 -0500 (EST)

   On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

   > ;;; Turn on menu bar, which has text for drop down menus
   > (menu-bar-mode 1)

   On what platforms this isn't the default already?  I think Emacs always
   displays the menu bar.

No the default GNU Emacs (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) does
not display the menu bar.  I just ran `emacs -q' with this morning's
CVS snapshot, Mon, 2000 Nov 6 12:00 UTC, and all it has is the tool

   > ;;; Prevent the cursor from blinking
   > (blink-cursor-mode 0)

The blinking cursor attracts too much of my attention and distracts
me.  I know that some other people respond the same way.  This is why
ill-intentioned advertisers like to use blinking advertisements: they
grab your attention and take it away from what you really want to do.
I cannot use Emacs when the cursor blinks.

   > ;;; Cause indentation to insert spaces instead of tabs
   > (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

When I edit text with tabs, my interword spacing gets screwed up --
often too much; worse, too little, with no space between two words.
Text with spaces is easily predictable.

    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com