Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 06:37:29 -0400

> From: address@hidden (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:08:11 +0200
> >
> > Aren't there situations where the order of the handlers' invocation is
> > important?
>
> Hm, yes, quite possibly.  So, should the filename handlers be
> rewritten so that order does not matter?

It would be one possibility, but I don't see how can you reasonably
require a handler to behave like that.

Another possibility would be to invent a mechanism where each handler
could register a priority, and higher-priority handlers would be
called first.  That would allow a handler to DTRT no matter what is
the order of loading the respective packages into Emacs.

> The whole thing is a thorny subject, I guess.  I guess a high-level
> design decision is necessary, first, before trying to hack the
> individual packages to work around this.

If people agree that the order of invocation matters in enough cases,
then there should be a high-level design decision.  Otherwise, we can
go on kludgeing around this ;-)