Re: xt-mouse wheel support patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: xt-mouse wheel support patch
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:58:58 -0700 (MST)

      But when I say "works" it's not quite
    true because both Emacs and xterm end up interpreting the
    event, so scroll-up scrolls the xterm text and the text
    inside the emacs buffer (scroll-down ends up working better
    because in most cases, the xterm text is already at the bottom
    so the scroll-down turns into a nop as far as xterm-scrolling
    is concerned).

It is hard to see how Emacs can win, if xterm messes things up first.
I'd expect that to be a problem for other mouse clicks too.

At the end of xt-mouse.el there are functions
that try to switch modes in xterm.  Perhaps the purpose is to
tell xterm not to handle mouse events itself.  I wonder
if there is a bug in that mechanism somewhere, on your machine.