Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 22 Apr 2002 11:58:55 +0900

    Brady> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

    >> Hm, I use them all the time.  My only complaint is that we only
    >> have mouse bindings for them.  I'd like to be able to type RET
    >> on them.  Bonus points if C-x o TAB TAB RET Does The Right
    >> Thing.

    Brady> I didn't say you didn't use them. Just that I haven't seen
    Brady> many doc strings that take much advantage of them for the
    Brady> "see also" purpose.

    Brady> Taking my running example of sort-lines, It's doc tells me
    Brady> about it's config variable sort-fold-case, but I had to do

I would say that's exactly right for a docstring.

    Brady> a find-library sort to look at the source to find out about
    Brady> sort-paragraphs, sort-pages, sort-fields, ...

That may be what _you_ resorted to, but besides Eli's suggestion of
C-h a sort- RET, there's C-h C-f sort-lines RET (output appended
below; taller than you would get on a 80x24 TTY, but the line
containing "sort-paragraphs" would almost certainly appear).  My
conclusion is that we don't need to redo all the docstrings, but
rather to educate people better about the available help functions.

     resulting expression looks like this:

          (sort-regexp-fields nil "^.*$" "\\<f\\w*\\>"
                              (region-beginning)
                              (region-end))

     If you call `sort-regexp-fields' interactively, it prompts for
     RECORD-REGEXP and KEY-REGEXP in the minibuffer.

 - Command: sort-lines reverse start end
     This command alphabetically sorts lines in the region between
     START and END.  If REVERSE is non-`nil', the sort is in reverse
     order.

 - Command: sort-paragraphs reverse start end
     This command alphabetically sorts paragraphs in the region between