Re: CUA mode cursor color

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CUA mode cursor color
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:10:00 -0400

>       1. Using `M-x cua-mode' doesn't print a message in the mode-line,
>        whereas using the menu option does.  Why not always print a message
>        (many other mode toggles do, and they probably all should), and make
>        the menu option and `M-x cua-mode' exactly the same?
>
> There is a possible problem with making these toggles display a
> message inthe echo area: Lisp programs may want to call them, and
> often it is inappropriate to print messages in those cases.

If you use define-minor-mode, then the resulting code emits
a message if called interactively.  That should work for menubar
invocation as well as for M-x without impacting direct calls
from Lisp programs.

> At present, we have turn-on-X-mode functions for some minor modes, and
> variables you can set or bind for other minor modes.  And there may be
> some cases which have neither one.  It is a confusing situation.
> I wonder if we can straighten it out.

The way I see it, the only standard part is (minor-mode 1) to turn
it on and (minor-mode -1) to turn it off.

I dislike the turn-on-X-mode things because they're just redundant.
Luckily, they can be ignored.

        Stefan