Re: 64-bit lossage

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: 64-bit lossage
Date: 23 Jul 2002 23:09:37 +0100

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> One runs Debian, very slowly; it's an old 166MHz box without much
> memory.

It probably runs Debian faster than the 48MB P100 I've done most
development on...

> I'll try to get some builds done on them more often, but I'll note one
> thing right off -- the m/alpha.h file breaks the USE_LISP_UNION_TYPE
> code because it unconditionally redefines some of the macros for
> picking apart an integer used as a Lisp_Object.

Yes.  Why is that a problem in practice?  (Also, lisp.h doesn't always
undef such things before re-defining them, with possible warning
storms as a consequence.)

> I'd say the macros in lisp.h need revising to better support 64-bit
> architectures;

As far as I know, they currently work, but there are probably more
serious 64-bit problems elsewhere unless someone has re-done what
eggert and I both started on.

Adding long long support (per TODO) seems most useful in that area.