Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:19:54 -0500

    I was thinking of the code that autoconf needs to detect the path to Gtk
    and that the version of Gtk is correct, in case the user specified
--with-gtk
    to configure.  If we are using an autoconf that doesn't have this built in,
    I need to create an aclocal.m4 with that code.

There is no need for an aclocal.m4.  You can put the code directly
into configure.in.  That is how we handle other such issues.

    >     The toolbar is not a Gtk toolbar, it is the standard Emacs toolbar.
    >
    > That is ok for now.

    A Gtk toolbar can be added later on I guess.  I think Gtk/Gnome users
    expect the toolbar to pick up their Gtk theme, so I will raise the
    priority for this.

Yes, we definitely want to have it, but we could make a first release
without it.

    For menus, however, the text in the menu should be enough or expanded
    so the tip is not needed.  I'll see what I can do, but they might not make
    it into the first patch.  A cutomize variable to turn tooltips off just
    in menus is something I would like to add later on.

If Emacs supports tooltips in menus for other toolkits, that should
work with GTK too if possible.