Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:38:19 -0500 (EST)

       I just tried:

           (setq tooltip-x-offset 40)
           (setq tooltip-y-offset -40)

       which moves the tips quite a distance.

   Would there be a better default value for these?

I don't know what people would like.  The best value depends both on a
person's screen and on the font they are using.

With my usual "10x20" font,

        (setq tooltip-x-offset 20)
        (setq tooltip-y-offset -20)

looks good, but in a plain vanilla instance of Emacs, started as

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

        (setq tooltip-x-offset 15)
        (setq tooltip-y-offset -15)

is better.  But 15 is too small a value for my "10x20" font.

I suspect that many people use a 1024x768 screen with the default
fonts, a white background and all that, but am not sure.  I run the
default fonts in the `plain vanilla' Emacs, but have a higher
resolution screen.

Do others on this list have a sense of what should be a good default?

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden