Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:43:21 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you!  I can now see all the fonts in

You gave good instructions.  I copied the fonts from  savannah.nongnu.org

Here is what I did.   This should go into the documentation somewhere.

Handa-san, please add this in the best place.  Thank you.

Here is an example of how Robert J. Chassell fetched and installed
the fonts for malayalam, and Indic language.

First, as user `root', execute these commands:

    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/
    mkdir malayalam
    cd malayalam

    wget -c

    tar tvzf free-mal-fonts.tar.gz           # see what you have
    tar xvzf free-mal-fonts.tar.gz           # untar into a sub-directory

    chown -R root.root .
    chmod -R ugo+rw .

    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/malayalam/free-mal-fonts

Now, you must make sure there is a 'fonts.scale' in the
malayalam/free-mal-fonts/ directory.

Raja R Harinath <address@hidden> writes:

    If there is no 'fonts.scale' file in that directory, create it with
    the following contents inside the ---8<--- lines.

    ---8<--- fonts.scale
    malayalam.ttf -misc-malayalam-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

[the following is not needed if copying the fonts from savannah.nongnu.org]

    If there's already a fonts.scale in that directory, add 1 to the
    number on top of that file, and append the "malayalam.ttf -misc-...-1"
    line to it.

After creating the `fonts.scale' file, in
execute these commands in that directory:

    xset fp+ `pwd`
    xset fp rehash

Then, add the following to your ~/.emacs file; you can be a non-root user:

      (set-fontset-font (query-fontset (frame-parameter nil 'font))
          (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x0D00) (decode-char 'ucs #x0D7f))
          (cons "misc-malayalam" "iso10646-1"))

Now as a non-root user, you can visit

in GNU Emacs and see all the fonts.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden