Re: ISO-8859-1 encoded file names and UTF-8

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ISO-8859-1 encoded file names and UTF-8
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:35:28 +0200

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:25:25 +0100
>
> > And what is the value of `default-file-name-coding-system'?  If it's
> > anything but `utf-8', please try setting `file-name-coding-system' to
> > `utf-8' and see if that helps.
>
> I did ask for help; I reported a problem worth fixing ;)  It is a
> reather serious problem, IMO.

This must be some kind of misunderstanding: I was trying to help you,
not mock your report in any way.

So please do tell what is the value of `default-file-name-coding-system'
and please do try setting `file-name-coding-system' to `utf-8'.  It
might get your problem solved.

> > It's even possible that you can do that yourself right now by using
> > hi-lock.el or something similar, since IIRC regular expressions can be
> > used to express character categories.
>
> Thanks for advice :) I know how to work around the problem; for checking
> .po files one can use 'msgfmt' etc.  I'd rather vote to change Emacs to
> make users happy -- that's probably not that urgent, but it should
> happen for the next major release coming from CVS HEAD.

Again a misunderstanding, I hope.  I was trying to point to a possible
way of designing such a feature, not tell that I think the issue
should be dismissed.

If my response doesn't help you, simply forget I ever spoke.