Re: Problems with info (emacs version)

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Problems with info (emacs version)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:03:13 +0000 (UTC)

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> noted the context:

           (info)Help-M

           which is used in the tutorial, *only* describes menus as
           they appear in the standalone info, not as they appear in
           the emacs version and the two are very different.

RMS asked:

   Would you please tell me the specific differences?  I scanned
   through that none and did not notice anything incorrect.

The surface expressions are different depending on the value of
Info-hide-note-references

Most likely you have Info-hide-note-references's value set to nil.
However, the default is to set Info-hide-note-references to t

    *If non-nil, hide the tag and section reference in *note and * menu items.
    Also replaces the "*note" text with "see".
    If value is non-nil but not t, the reference section is still shown.

When you do this, using

    Today's CVS snapshot, Tue, 2003 Jun  3  12:21 lisp UTC
    GNU Emacs 21.3.50.48 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
    started with

       /usr/local/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

then the menu in (info)Help-M looks like this.

    * Menu:

    * Foo                  A node you can visit for fun.
    * Bar                  We have made two ways to get to the same place.
    * Help-FOO             And yet another!

But when Info-hide-note-references is set to nil, as it was in the old
days by default, the menu looks like this:

    * Menu:

    * Foo:  Help-FOO.       A node you can visit for fun.
    * Bar:  Help-FOO.       We have made two ways to get to the same place.
    * Help-FOO::            And yet another!

I remember all this because I prefer the old format and remember when
I had to put (setq Info-hide-note-references nil) into my .emacs file.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden