Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: 20 May 2004 12:48:54 +0200

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> >>  There is no doubt that functions to modify the search
> >>  string character-wise should have dedicated key bindings.
> >>  But it became apparent that C-f and C-b are quite intrusive.
> >>  Luckily, C-M-w and C-M-y are no less convenient to type,
>
> > Disagree.  On many keyboards you have no Meta key, and even on those
> > that do, you need two hands to reach that combination.
>
> We anyway use two hands to type C-b,

You do?  I usually type C-b with just the left hand, and I guess that
would be the usual way for touch typists.  Or sometimes I do just with
the right, in case I am busy with the left hand eating or something.

> but I agree C-M-w and C-M-y are very inconvenient keys.

> > I think that the search string modifying is more important feature
> > than search exiting via C-f and C-b.
>
> To me, their importance are almost the same, and I prefer convient
> keys to keys of meaningful mnemonic.  So, I'm using adjoining C-i
> and C-o for isearch-del-char and isearch-yank-char recently.  This
> is quite convenient at least for me (I have been using C-q C-i to
> isearch for TAB).  What do you think?

Well, considering that the right control key on today's keyboards is
rather small if at all existent, those are definitely less convenient
than C-f and C-b.

> And, i(n) and o(ut) may give some meaning to these keys.

But I think it rather common to be searching for TAB characters in
isearch strings, particularly in regexps.