Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: 01 Jul 2004 19:46:49 -0400

>> > (I suspect transient-mark-mode is not so popular, at least not with me.)
>>
>> Seeing how much tmm-specific code has been written, I tend to
>> believe the opposite.  I suspect tmm is unpopular among Emacs
>> veterans but I also suspect that GUI-happy users have a hard time
>> believing that it's not enabled by default.

> "GUI-happy" users are mostly surprised of its stickiness: they tend
> to expect that it is just active when you mark regions with a mouse,
> or use a special marking sequence.

That's a different issue.  I still think that they're baffled at it being
disabled by default, even if they might also think it doesn't work right.
I.e. it doesn't work right but it's better than nothing.

> We are getting closer with temporary transient-mark-mode on
> mouse-drag, but I don't think we are "there" yet with regard to
> "expected" behavior.

Agreed.  But the "expected behavior" for such users is that both
region-beginning and region-end are independent from point, so it's
a non-trivial change.

        Stefan