Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:53:18 +0530

Hello,

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:22:01 -0500, "Peter Lee" <address@hidden>
said:

>     Dhruva> Hello, I find accessing a file using UNC path using GNU
>     Dhruva> Emacs (CVS Head, W2K and MinGW32 build) very slow when
>     Dhruva> compared to XEmacs. Has anyone experienced the same and
>     Dhruva> explored the reason?
>
> I'm using mingw32 cvs build on XP and UNC access is very fast.  No
> different actually than any other application.  Does it happen if you
> start without an init file '-Q'?

 I just realised that XEmacs does something like find-file-literally
 (and a little more, I guess). If I use find-file-literally in GNU
 Emacs, it is as fast as in XEmacs. I am using the following code in my
 .emacs (dot emacs).

      ;; For faster opening of files with UNC path
      (defadvice find-file (before find-file-unc first activate)
        "Insert an empty line when moving up from the top line."
        (let ((file (ad-get-arg 0)))
          (if (or (string-match "^//" file)
                  (string-match "^\\\\" file))
              (cond ((find-file-literally file)
                     (font-lock-fontify-buffer))))))

PS: Any improvements for the above code is welcome, I am an amature.
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/